|Posted on September 30, 2009 at 3:25 AM|
Recently, for the purpose of getting records straight without dabbling in to fiction, let have the information accurate according to the notice. On 21st August, 2009, the Embassy of Nigeria Athens Greece issued ageneral public notice to all Nigerians living in Greece, that publication was sign by J.S.OAkinsanya for the Ambassador which was titled 'NOTICE' and it reads 'The Embassy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in Athens, wishes to inform all members of the Nigerian Communities in Greece, that the issuance of Machine Readable Passports (MRP Passports) is due to commence. Nigerian nationals in Greece who are in an immediate need of a passport must contact theEmbassy as soon as possible'. The notice further reads, 'Please note that passports being issued would expire on 31st December, 2010. Application fee for the MRP Passport is 160.00 Euro only'.
This is the View of the Machine Readable Passports (MRP Passports)
For the benefits of those whom might not be familiar or have fall victim of Nigeria Travelling Document Identity Stories and calamity, I will touch some issues about the Nigeria's Passport in Greece and the Historical conduct of the Embassy of Nigeria in Athens towards the issuance of this indispensable/essential travelling document. Sometime in early 1990 and late 1990, the representatives of the Nigerian Community Greece usually go to our Nigeria Embassy in Rome-Italy to secure passport for Nigerians then living in Greece who is in need of passport but before they (Community) started going for that, the Nigeria Embassy in Roma, Italy use to attend to Nigerians in Greece by sending their staff from time to time to Greece for the issuing of Nigeria Passport according to Mr. Patrick Ude the Ex-Chairman of the community, during this time, all Nigeria Passport issue in Rome was never Mark fake or been refered to as Proxy Passport in an way by the Greek authority.
After so many Years of Nigeria Embassy absence from Greece, the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria decided to restated the mission back in Greece which means for the Nigerians in Greece, cost of going to Rome-Italy by the representatives of the Nigerian community just for securing International Passport issuance is over, the other good news accompany the establishment of the Embassy in Athens in the mind of Nigerians is that, the time frame for Nigerians to have their passport issue will be immediate or having it one less then two days but all those glee and notions was just an imaginary tale since theEmbassy started her operation in Athens Greece.
H/E Prof. Sunday O. Agbi (Formal Nigerian Ambassador to Greece)
The Embassy announced during the tenure of H/E Prof. Sunday O. Agbi the introduction and commencement of the E-Passport in Greece but Not even One(1) copy of the the said E-passport was issue during his tenure as the Nigerian Ambassador to Greece rather, it was noted that most of the Machine Readable Passports (MRP) that was issued to Nigerians during the stated period have one or more problem at each country border and the Greek Residence Permit Issuing Office, this leads to so many Nigerians in Greece losing their right for residence permit, while others was deported back to Nigeria from other European State on their return or re-entry from Visit to Nigeria, also, other groups of Nigerians end-up in weeks and months in the jail, paying for the mistake the Embassy made on our National Identity (why I refer it as National Identity is that Nigeria has no other Identification prove apart from the International Passport).
This is the View of the E-Passport (New)
The Identification travelling document the than administrative of the Embassy issued to Nigerians which I 'd always refer to as 'Permit to Confinement' cost Nigerians in Greece the sums of 590.00 Euro to 630.00 Euro Per-Passport while inNigerian at that same period cost the sum of less than 100.00 USD, also the Immigration's Staff in Nigeria were issuing Proxy Passport to Citizens abroad who send money home for them to have their passport issue and posted to them, the reasons for such decision by Nigerians was the Pricing at that time and we the citizens (Nigerians) chooses to live with such pain until his tenure was over. Why don't you shout out for the world to hear you and where is the Nigerian Community that use to go to Roma-Italy on matters that affect Nigeirans in Greece?
Howbeit,Nigerians had be known for not standing up for the right, most of us here in Greece today, left Nigeria just for one single reason, and that is 'Bad Leadership and Corrupt Government' back home which 'd turn our National'sEconomy to self-enrichment resources Center of the so called leaders. Despite all this, we have also not make the grade to know, identify and understand the tricks invented by the same called leaders back home to send some of their representatives among good ones to us in abroad to continue the exploitation of her citizens (Nigeria leaders, there are NO Natural Oil and Gas that belong to Nigeria in Greece we are self reliance people, we make our living out of our hard works).
His Excellency Dr. Etim A. Uye (Still on duty in Athens Greece)
All things been equal, the arrival of His Excellency Dr. Etim A. Uye, Nigerian Ambassador to Greece (still on duty) in 2008 was a beginning of a new day that comes into the life of Nigerians in Greece. In his address to Nigerians in Greece on the occasion of the 48th Independence Anniversary Prayer service for the nation on 28th September, 2008, at CPM Church, 41 Sofokeleos Street Omonia Athens, he promise Nigerians that, the service cost charge of Nigeria Passport will be in line with the Federal Government services cost policy and that he will try to see that passport issuance is never a major problem to Nigerians in Greece any more but his promise has not observe any actions up to date rather Nigerians in Greece are been faced with the same situation of delays but never in cost/pricing not until this recent Publication/Notice by the Embassy stating the price of MRP to be 160.00 Euro while Nigerians who apply via online for the E-passport are paying the services cost of $110.00 USD,calculated into Euro will give us the sum of about 80.00 Euro .
It is true that the present Nigerian Ambassador to Greece did try to bring the service cost of passport back to the actual services cost charge by the Federal Government all this while but what I don't understand and where I want all readers of this topic to stay put are the following;
· Do you think His Excellency Dr. Etim A. Uye you know on the day he addresses Nigerians go back against his words and promises; or is it a way of trying to generate some amount of Euros (Revenue) in order to celebrate the 49th Nigeria Independence day or dose this have any connection with the present economical crisis? To my understanding, it sound much like a way of recovery from the financial predicamenton the world is facing because of the date of Passport expiration, be as it may and at such condition, Nigerians in abroad should not save as bail-out proceed to the Federal government.
· Why should the Nigeria Embassy in Greece will not be install the E-Passport issuance Machine before now but some nearby country like Spain have the E-Passport Machine where our people now been referred to in other for them to have their passport issue.
· With the above publication saying ?'Nigerian nationals in Greece who are in immediate need of a passport'..., I feel that every Nigerians requesting for Passport are in an immediate need of this document and I don?t thinking issue one year Passport to them will solve the problem, beside, since when the Federal Government starts issuing Passport for a duration of One (1)years. Nigeria Passport is Not an ID Cards, please save us from further embarassment from our host countries and their police.
· Will the money citizen's pay in applying for MRP Passport now that will expires on 31 December, 2010 covers for the issuance of the E-Passport at the expiration date. (as I can see, the cost for the MRP is twice up of the cost of the E-Passport)
· To those of us Nigerians who did apply for the E-passport application via online, made our payment online are also in an immediate need of Passport, how do we intend to go about our money that is already with the government of Nigeria since the policy of our government on the payment of the E-passport is almost something near 'NO REFUND' (Please Note, they (FG) are about collecting double or if not threefold payment indirectly from you for the MRP) and why can't one transfer E-passport's payment made to one office in order to have his / her passport issue in other immigration office or location? it the Nigeria Immigration Two (2) or is the immigration account different from the Fedreal government account.
· I did learn by heart, that the Embassy hosted some Immigration's Staff from Nigerian who came to collect data and E-Passport Biometrics information of Nigerians who already apply for the E-passport and until date, Some of those Nigerians are yet to receive their E-Passport. I think the cost of Air Tickets, Hotel, Security, Transportation to come to Greece just to collect data of citizens is near enough the cost of having the Machine install in Embassy here in Athens.
For the interest of the general public, Nigerians in Greece and to save Nigeria name from further abuse, I think the recent move by the Nigeria Embassy to start reissuing the Machine Readable Passport (MRP) to Nigerians in Greece after having the E-passport presented to the host government offices by some Nigerians who already have theirs should not be acceptable by Nigerians. It is the Embassy's responsibility to have the E-Passport Machine install in Greece not to try to withdrawn from there responsibilities, Nigerians in Greece are intelligent enough to know what we want and when we want it. If they (theGovernment representatives in Greece, the Ministry of Internal, and External/foreign Affairs ) are not going to make sure that we have this Machine here, then this is completely encouragement for Nigerians to start requesting for proxy passports from home again, which will then out stamp the government intention on the E-passport that has been introduced to help fight fraud and forgery.
Fellow Nigerians, the issue of issuance of Nigeria Passport only affects us with 'Standard Passport', they (the Embassy staffer and government office holds are all with their own Travelling document and they can not feel with we are felling, the Immigration delays and embarrassment never happens to them and their family members. Should we keep quite allowing our leaders with such I-Don't-Care Behavior? They are to hand round/hand out us and act in response to our request and demands. Their daily incomes come from the wealth that belongs to you and I while you straggle ON YOU OWN (OYO) to have you personal daily income by yourselves. I call on Nigerians to please speak withone voice in order to save ourselves and Nigeria name from the hands of those I-Don't-Care leaders among the good ones in our government, Nigeria and those driving force that are with us in Europe. Nigeria is for Nigerians and not for only those that install themselves into office.
MKT in Athens-Greece